You’ve probably heard of acupressure and are looking for alternatives to massage or acupuncture.
Either way, you’re here looking for acupressure pillows and mats.
Don’t worry; stick around, as this article has a few recommendations!
How Does Acupressure Work?
Simply put, acupressure is a type of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM).
Doctors think of TCM as a form of complementary or alternative medicine.
Acupressure is similar to acupuncture but doesn’t involve needles or skin holes.
Acupuncture involves sticking thin needles into different acupoints on the body.
Acupressure helps aches and pains by dispersing your energy, or “chi,” through touch and pressure.
What Are Acupressure Pillows & Mats?
An acupressure mat is designed to simulate the therapeutic effects of hands-on acupressure treatment.
Acupressure is a TCM technique that releases obstructed chi (Qi) throughout the body.
Once these blockages are gone, the pain may lessen or go away completely.
What Do Acupressure Pillows & Mats Do?
Acupressure mats have hundreds of small plastic points that press on acupressure points in the back.
You can also use acupressure pillows on your neck, head, hands, or feet.
Acupressure mats are being used by a lot of people to relieve back pain and headaches.
Do they work, though?
Who you ask makes a difference.
There isn’t much scientific evidence that acupressure mats work, even though some small studies show they can help with pain.
Many people who have used it also swear by how well it works.
Most claims about acupressure mats are based on anecdotal evidence and the few studies that have been done.
Even though there isn’t much research on how acupressure mats help, they are cheap, safe, and easy to use.
Acupressure may be better than acupuncture for people who are afraid of needles.
Acupressure Pillows & Mats – Benefits
Few studies have examined the effectiveness of acupressure mats.
Since these mats function like acupressure and acupuncture, they may have similar effects.
The main difference is that acupressure mats simultaneously stimulate all of the acupressure points.
At the same time, a professional uses acupressure to work on specific points.
People who have used acupressure mats have said that they helped with the following:
- People with headaches think standing on the mat with both feet in the same spot will help.
- neck pain
- sciatica Back and leg pain. Tight or stiff back muscles.
- worry and stress, fibromyalgia pain
Alternatives: Using an acupressure mat is similar to the following treatments:
- Massage of trigger points
- Gua sha
Suppose acupressure or other alternative therapies don’t help with the pain.
In that case, a person should make an appointment with their doctor to discuss other options.
Related Reading: Is It Ok To Wear Leggings Everyday – Learn More Here.
A Few Acupressure Mat/Pillow Recommendations
This mat helps with people’s back and neck pains.
- It comes with a pillow in different colors, and the price is reasonable.
- As a bonus, it’s ideal for those looking to minimize their financial outlay.
- Some buyers have noted that it is smaller than anticipated, and no carrying bag is included.
- This mat set is made from thick cotton and foam from plants. The mat is full-size and has 6,210 spikes made of plastic.
- The pillow also has 1,782 spikes. The set comes in many colors, such as black, blue, pink, and purple. You can also put the pillow under your feet to get more relief.
Users complain that the mat doesn’t come with a bag to carry or store, but they love how well it relieves pain.
The cotton cover can be taken off and washed by hand.
Do not wash or dry in a commercial machine.
This mat helps with lower back pain, sciatica, and fibromyalgia health problems.
It is also best for those who travel.
- You can wear it while moving. It is composed of eco-friendly materials and is compact.
- It doesn’t have acupressure on the whole back and is more expensive than some full-sized mats.
- This acupressure strap is made with a mixture of coconut fiber, linen, and buckwheat hull that is good for the environment. It can put pressure on specific points and is small enough to be easy to pack when traveling.
Because you can wear it while doing other things, you can get things done while relieving pain and tension.
This isn’t a full-size mat, so you won’t be able to put pressure on your whole back or larger areas.
Depending on how you want to feel better, you may also need to buy the brand’s pillow or a more traditional mat.
This Mat and Pillow set helps with neck and back pain for people who want a high-end set of mats.
- It’s handmade, certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX, and comes with a mini-mat and pillow.
- It’s the priciest option and the only one without a storage bag.
- This set includes an acupressure pillow, a mini-mat, and a conventional mat. This set is made by hand in Europe, and OEKO-TEX has given it the STANDARD 100 certification.
It is made of HIPS eco plastic, buckwheat hulls, linen, cotton, and coconut fiber.
This is the most expensive option, but it’s returnable within 30 days and has a 5-year warranty.
This option does not come with a carrying case if you plan to travel or bring it to work.
Related Reading: What To Wear At Physical Therapy – Find Out Here.
There is not much research on acupressure, but it is still safe and cheap to get mats to try.
If it works for your muscles, then there should be no problem.
Just make sure to contact your doctor should any issues arise.